- As for the blog's name: -


I was @ Gustav Ericsson's sight, - Anzenkai, and I was looking at Nishijima Roshi’s calligraphies over there. Particularly there is one - "seki shin hen pen" - about which Gustav has earlier said in a blog post that it is Nishijima's favorite phrase from Master Dogen.

This seemed strange to me. It was not what I would expect Nishijima Roshi's favorite phrase to be. It seemed it could be some Rinzai master's favorite quote, - it seems to express continuous and constant sincerity, - but it did not seem to fit my view of the way Nishijima Roshi saw things.

So - consequently - I tried to think what would I expect his favorite quote to be. But all phrases I could think of did not seem to fit just what I might have had in mind.

So I tried to come up with what I would see it as, - and what I have come up with - is - "this universe out here".

- And this seems to be the right name for this blog here too.


- Definitely.                                                 ________________________

What Man is

 It has been said, some time ago, - that the difference between man, the human being, - and animals, - is his ability to create tools. (And use them)

- Later I believe this idea has been dropped.

- I think after chimpanzees have been observed making a simple tool.

- Now, I think, - it is thought man is different in his ability to think. I do say, - if a dog is able to find his way back home in a neighbourhood it knows this inevitably reflects thinking processes.

- So obviously thinking processes exist in other beings too.

- Therefore, - what is the difference? - Man is able to disconnect himself from a situation he is in. - Man is able to think not only as a natural process involved in the situation he is in at the moment but also to stop and have things run independently in his “mind” not in real time.

- To consider a situation not only while it’s running as an outcome of the stimulus coming through right then but to think of it in a way similar to watching a movie filmed earlier or seeing a view in a mirror. - To bring up things relating to the past or future as off the computer’s hard disc and relate to them then in a way similar to the way of thought in real time.

- This is the difference. Animals are unable to do that. They are slaves of the present moment.

So far.

No comments: