- As for the blog's name: -


I was @ Gustav Ericsson's sight, - Anzenkai, and I was looking at Nishijima Roshi’s calligraphies over there. Particularly there is one - "seki shin hen pen" - about which Gustav has earlier said in a blog post that it is Nishijima's favorite phrase from Master Dogen.

This seemed strange to me. It was not what I would expect Nishijima Roshi's favorite phrase to be. It seemed it could be some Rinzai master's favorite quote, - it seems to express continuous and constant sincerity, - but it did not seem to fit my view of the way Nishijima Roshi saw things.

So - consequently - I tried to think what would I expect his favorite quote to be. But all phrases I could think of did not seem to fit just what I might have had in mind.

So I tried to come up with what I would see it as, - and what I have come up with - is - "this universe out here".

- And this seems to be the right name for this blog here too.


- Definitely.                                                 ________________________

Perfection

This is about a thought I had for some time and now (Feb 22 2019) I am bringing it as here. - It is quite a simple idea. Perfection is determined or defined according to our expectations. That which accords with our expectations we call perfect. The idea is rooted there. - The situation in which we find the existence of expectations natural, even without explicitly recognizing them or being able to see them for what they are or noticing them as an independent phenomenon, - is where the birth of the idea or notion of perfection takes place. - No expectations, - no perfection. So it seems.

- Expectations originate when we conceive what we would view as faults.

A faulted thing is imperfect.

- When we see one thing as better than another faults could be conceived. - If we have no view seeing A as better than B than there would not be a thing we would consider faulted.

- Why do we consider one thing as better than another? One situation as better than another? - Whichever the reason this is where it begins. - Then we could observe one running of things as better or worse than another route and then we might view one as faulted.

- And then we might consider a thing perfect or imperfect. We define it, - though not intentionally or consciously. - Truly, - as it seems, - as I said in the beginning, - it is our expectation which practically determine what would be called perfect and what would not. - If our view is freed of such “faults” than we would not see this difference of perfection and imperfection.

- So at the bottom line it seems it is just the issue of good and bad.

- Things apparently have a natural route to them. Sometime simpler, sometimes more complicated. - That which follows this route or is closer to it we call “good”. So it seems. - Why? Perhaps it has to do with the way we are made. - Why do you find one thing painful and another thing joyful? - It may be rooted there. However, - as it seems, - again, - our division into what we might call “perfect” and what we might call by a contrary word is based on our inner wrongness; - you might say the way is of zero width, - and when we view it as wider than that, - such phenomena occur. So far for that. I was wondering about whether this idea [of perfection] could be transcended, - or perhaps you might more accurately say dug under, - proven to be empty of [real] meaning, - and quite clearly I came to an answer; - though the root of good and bad is not yet necessarily equally clear.


             (- It seems I only wrote the first paragraph here on Feb 22nd 2019 as said above, - the rest I completed on March 25th 2021. (- and deleted a bit of other stuff I wrote earlier)

             -
A PDF file is here.)

No comments: