- As for the blog's name: -


I was @ Gustav Ericsson's sight, - Anzenkai, and I was looking at Nishijima Roshi’s calligraphies over there. Particularly there is one - "seki shin hen pen" - about which Gustav has earlier said in a blog post that it is Nishijima's favorite phrase from Master Dogen.

This seemed strange to me. It was not what I would expect Nishijima Roshi's favorite phrase to be. It seemed it could be some Rinzai master's favorite quote, - it seems to express continuous and constant sincerity, - but it did not seem to fit my view of the way Nishijima Roshi saw things.

So - consequently - I tried to think what would I expect his favorite quote to be. But all phrases I could think of did not seem to fit just what I might have had in mind.

So I tried to come up with what I would see it as, - and what I have come up with - is - "this universe out here".

- And this seems to be the right name for this blog here too.


- Definitely.                                                 ________________________

- The Unnecessary Viewer -

          Our body does not have an “I”. - Uchiyama Roshi relates to this. - If we injure our leg our body will take care of it. - However there is no focusing for this purpose. - There is no central headquarters which apparently must head the healing elements. - What happens happens naturally.

          - The body is a whole in this sense. - it is not in need of a central point off which everything is to be handled. - In our conscious action and life things are different. - Obviously. - Most would imagine there is no other way. But there is. Actually our way is somewhat (or not just somewhat) distorted.

          - Those who believe life are merely an outcome of random occurrences of physical matter will naturally think the way they know is the only way. They might imagine stupidly advanced beings on other planets having arrived at this or that but will generally always maintain themselves altogether off course.

          - I wrote an earlier related post. - “10.2.22 – Free mentality in primitive organisms and divine beings”.

          - This one here will not necessarily add. - But still it doesn't mean it is worthless. - There is another way of being. - It may somewhat not be so much like what some would think of as “being”. - If you consider a sea anemone or a jellyfish - there is no brain, - therefore there is no self consciousness as we know, - if each part of the body acts independently than there could be no central consciousness as we know. As we are familiar with.

          How do these feel then? What is their mind like? Imagine. Try to.

          - Actually I am saying their state is fundamentally the better state. Just fundamentally. I don't mean it is better to be a sea anemone or a jellyfish. This would be obviously foolish. - But relating to the principle itself, eventually, - we better shed off one day our mental disability and let ourselves go. - “You say stop, - I say go, go, go”. - (- “You say goodbye, - I say hello”) I can not say I know what it is like. I don't know if it is like at all. - I might suppose it would have to do with consciousness fading away too. But it would obviously be wider, - we cannot imagine a wider consciousness really, - what would such a thing be like. Just don't be afraid of it. Like locking yourself inside of something tying your heart down thinking this is the best way. - It is not.

No comments: